LL-L "Resources" 2001.12.02 (02) [D/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 2 21:50:32 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.DEC.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Roger Thijs" <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.25 (02) [E]

> From: "Roger Thijs" <roger.thijs at euro-support.be>
> Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.18 (03) [E]
> I replaced this file (for a few days) with:
> http://www.euro-support.be/temp/marol.wma
> It's the song "De Marollien" ...
> The song is in Brussels dialect (with some French)

I removed that song and I replaced it (for a few days) with a song in
West-Flemish from Kortrijk by Johny Turbo about "Sint Niklaas" at url:
http://www.euro-support.be/temp/niklaas.wma
It is track 3 of 16 of CD Onadisc HHCD9501226
"Johny Turbo - Veske Zjever"

Actually this week-end Sint-Niklaas and Zwarte Piet are omnipresent in
shops downtown Antwerp. So the subject may be actual. "Sarma" and
"Bazar" in the song are shops.

Though the "sound" of the language is typically West-Flemish it is
difficult to decribe it in full detail. Some clearly recognizable
elements:
- the e-suffix to feminine words: "bane" (baan), "skouwe" (schouw),
"vrouwe"
- the _sch/sk_ (s + k) in stead of _s_ at the end of words: "immenske
zak" (immense zak)
- the _i_ pronounciation for the Dutch _ij_ (pronounced e+i in Dutch):
"mieter" (mijter), "schieter" (schijter)

Some actuality in relation to "Zwarte Piet":
A judge in Brussels (judge Sprockeels, strafrechtbank Brussels, in a
case of a black janitor against a Portuguese janitor)sentenced this week
that calling someone "neger" (nigger) is not a term of abuse. "Vuile
neger" (dirty nigger) is judged to be offensive though (De Standaard;
Het Belang van Limburg, both on Nov 28, 2001). Though we do not have
"case law" in Belgium, judicial precedents are used all the time by
lawyers in Belgian courts.
BTW Sensitivity for some terms in the Netherlands may be different from
Belgium.

Here is the complete text of the song (as from a saved html page, that
is not any longer on the web).

--- quote:

't es Sint Niklaas, in lange frak
En Zwarte Piet, me ziene zak

't is Zwarte Piet Piet Piet, met ziene zak zak zak
't is Sint Niklaas, in lange frak

Wie staat er met een caene, van boven ip mien dak?
Wie doet er 's nachts de bane, in ziene lange frak
Wie kruupt er deur de skouwe, at er em nieman' ziet?
Wien èt er et gin vrouwe, moar wel ne Zwarte Piet?

Wie draagt er nu ne mieter, en et er lang blond haar
Wien is dien bljèke skieter, met die geplakten baard?
Wie zit er in de Sarma, moar wok in den Bazar?
Wien èt er zoveel karma, wien is diene kastaar?

't es Sint Niklaas, in lange frak
En Zwarte Piet, me ziene zak

't is Zwarte Piet Piet Piet, met ziene zak zak zak
't is Sint Niklaas, in lange frak

Wie ziet er uut den hemel, wat dat iedereen doe?
Wie riedt er ip ne kemel, die fret uut oeze skoe?
Wien is't er voor de kindjes, maar is nie pedofiel?
Wie smiet er mandarientjes, en hopen andr'n briel?

Wie pakt er al de vrouw'n, ip ziene heiligen schoot
Wie klapt er nooit van trouwen al vaart ie met nen boot?
Wien èt er speelgoedball'n in zienen immenske zak?
En wien ènme laten vallen, van oezen almanak?

't es Sint Niklaas, in lange frak
't is Zwarte Piet, me ziene zak

't is Zwarte Piet Piet Piet, met ziene zak zak zak
't is Sint Niklaas, in lange frak

't es Sint Niklaas, in lange frak
't is Zwarte Piet, me ziene zak

't is Zwarte Piet Piet Piet, met ziene zak zak zak
't is Sint Niklaas, in lange frak

--- end quote

Johny Turbo (Ivan Carlier) died on Jan 6 2000 (aged 44).
I think his CD "Veske Zjever" is his only one in commerce.

Regards,

Roger

----------

From: UB82DN at aol.com
Subject: New Topic: Vocabulary

Liewe Laaglanders,

On my old computer, I had - saved to "favorites" - a site that deals
with the
100 or so Common Germanic roots that are _not_ Indo-European. Now I
can't
find it. Does anyone know that site?

Thanks,
Joe Stromberg