LL-L "Folklore" 2001.12.04 (01) [E/LS]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 15:38:33 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.DEC.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: WPannbacker at t-online.de (Walter Pannbacker)
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2001.12.03 (01) [E/LS]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Folklore
>
> [English version below]
>
> Leve Lüüd',
>
> In 't ollenborgsche un oostfreessche Dialektrebeed vun us
> neddersassische (nedderdüütsche) Spraak wardt af un an so 'n
> Sagengestalt upnöömt mit d'n Naam so wat as "Waalriedersch(e)",
> "Waalriedersk(e)".  In Wöörböker wardt dat up Hoogdüütsch as
> "Nachtmahr", "Alp" or "Gespenst" verklaart.  Nu heff ik 'n paar Fragen:
>
> 1) Wat för Saken dait düsse Gestalt uutfeten?
>
> 2) Wen hett mi maal verklaart, dat is maal so 'n Aard Gestalt weest as
> de iersche "banshee" (< iersch gäälsch _bean sídhe_ < oldiersch _ben
> síde_ "Feenfru"), de ehr gresig Geschree to hören is, wenn dichtbi 'n
> Minsch an 't Starven is.  Is dat wahr?
>
> 3) Woans kann 'n düsse Naams "Waalriedersch(e)", "Waalriedersk(e)"
> etymoloogsch verklaren?
>
> 4) In de daar Rebeden wöör ehrmaals Freessch snackt. Is düsse Gestalt un
> ehr Naams freessch, un gifft dat verwandte Gestalten in annere freessche
> Rebeden, un in annere leeglandschen Rebeden?
>
> In 't Vörruut bedankt.
> Reinhard/Ron
>
> ===
>
> Folks,
>
> In the Low Saxon (Low German) dialect areas of Oldenburg and Eastern
> Friesland (northwestern Germany near the Netherlands border) there is
> occasionally mention of a mythological figure named "Waalriedersch(e),"
> "Waalriedersk(e)," etc. (a feminine name).  In dictionaries it is
> explained as something like "nightmare," "ghastly nocturnal visitor,"
> "apparition," "ghost," etc.  I have a few questions about this.
>
> (1) What kind of stuff does this creature get up to?
>
> (2) Someone once explained it to me as originally a sort of counterpart
> of the Irish "banshee" (Irish Gaelic _bean sídhe_ < Old Irish _ben síde_
> "woman of the fairies") whose horrifying wailing is heard when nearby
> someone is dying.  Is this correct?
>
> (3) How can these names "Waalriedersch(e)," "Waalriedersk(e)," etc., be
> explained etymologically?
>
> (4) Those areas used to be Frisian-speaking. Are this figure and its
> names originally Frisian, and are there related figures in other Frisian
> areas, and in other Lowlandic areas for that matter?
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
> Reinhard/Ron

Is 'n "Waalriedersche" nich datsülvige as 'n "Walküre", de över de Slacht
(de Waalstee < germaansch: wala = dood) riedt un de Doden na Walhalla
bringt? So heff ik dat jümmers docht...

++++++++++++ ENGLISH VERSION ++++++++++++++++

Isn't a "Waalriedersche" the same as a Valkyrie who rides over the
battlefield (LS: Waalstee, German: Walstatt < Germanic: wala = dead) and
collects the fallen to accompany them to Valhalla? At least, that's what I
always thought...

----------

From: Pat Reynolds <pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk>

There was a paper in the journal Folklore a few years ago (1997 or 1998,
I think) which compared the reported experiences of people having such
nightmares in Newfoundland and the West Country of England.  It was a
study of the transmission of folk-interpretation of a known medical
phenomenon, whose name, I've forgotten.  It involves temporary paralysis
and a strong belief that there is a human 'or something' in the room
with you!  It comes from working hard, physically, on too few calories.

With best wishes,

Pat
--
Pat Reynolds
pat at caerlas.demon.co.uk
   (T. Pratchett)

----------

From: "J.B. Klönne" <jbklonne at home.nl>

Leeglanders,

"t Olde lantschap Drenthe met zien veengebieden kende veul verhaolen over
spoken heksen hekserij en  Wittewieven.  Wittewieven die soms as oplochtende
lochies boven 't veen zichtbaor weuden. ( opborrelend gas).
Ab Drijver zingt  op radio de Bentepol 'n mooie dreigende tekst, schreven
deur Grietje Clewits, dat over dit onderwarp giet .
Bie disse de tekst:

De Helderbult
Mamme, wat hoelt daor, zo hard buten deur
dat döt de wiend jong,
slaopen gaon heur
Mamme wel lacht daor, is 't buten al licht
Nee jong 't is nog duuster
doe je oogies mar dicht
jongie gaot slaopen. mar mamme is bang
zie heurt in buuten, dudelijk zang

As 't waait zo as now, en 't is duustere maon
dan zul ze niet geern hen buuten gaon
waant dan daansen de heksen, goelen al om
de helderbult over al hen en weerom
dan daansen de heksen, goelen al om
de helderbult over al hen en weerom
't is buuten grauw, as de kleur van de nacht
waaien heur na, 'n heks holt de wacht
en kek dan 'n meens neischierig om de hoek
dan kreg e in zien ogen,  'n klap met zo'n doek
blind tot zien dood, moet e deur 't leven gaon
dat hebt in de nacht, de heksen vaak daon.

Mamme, wat hoelt daor, zo hard buten deur
dat döt de wiend jong,
slaopen gaon heur
Mamme wel lacht daor, is 't buten al licht
Nee jong 't is nog duuster
doe je oogies mar dicht
jongie gaot slaopen. mar mamme is bang
zie heurt in buuten, dudelijk zang.

tekst: Grietje Clewits

Leeglanders,
Ie kriegt de groeten uut de olde lantschap Drenthe
Goed gaon,
                    Berend Klönne
http://members.home.nl/beronnie/
  ' ik bid niet veur brune bonen '

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

[English version below]

Leve Lüüd',

Weest bedankt för de Anters baven.

Ik heff mi noch maal wat wieder ümkeken un heff funnen, dat 't ook 'n
mannliche Form gifft: "Waalrieder" (Mehrtall "Waalrieders").

Berend schreev över "Wittewieven":

> Wittewieven die soms as oplochtende
> lochies boven 't veen zichtbaor weuden. ( opborrelend gas).

In Norddüütschland seggt 'n daarto up Neddersassisch (Nedderdüütsch)
"Elflicht" ~ "Elflücht", "Spööklicht" or ook, as up Düütsch, "Irrlicht".  Dat
kann leeg or good wesen; dat stüürt d'n Nachtwannerer up Biesterwegen (neem he
in 't Moor versupen kann), or dat stüürt em na Huus' to.

Grötens,
Reinhard/Ron

===

Folks,

Thanks for the replies above.

I looked around some more and found that there is also a masculine form:
_Waalrieder_ ['vQ:l,ri:d3] (plural _Waalrieders_).

Berend explains that in his Low-Saxon-speaking fen area of Drenthe (Eastern
Netherlands) will-o'-the-wisps are traditionally described as spooks called
"Wittewieven" ("white women").

In Northern Germany's Low Saxon (Low German) these are known as _Elflicht_
['?ElflIC(t)] ~ _Elflücht_ ['?ElflYC(t)] ("elf light"), _Spööklicht_
['sp9IklIC(t)] ("spook light") or, as in German, _Irrlicht_ ['?I3lIC(t)] ("err
light").  This light can be bad or good; it leads the nocturnal traveler
either astray (and may make him perish in a bog) or homeward.