LL-L "Folklore" 2001.12.05 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 20:43:47 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: denis dujardin <dujardin at pandora.be>
Subject: LL-L "Folklore" 2001.12.05 (02) [E]

Dear Lone Elisabeth Olesen

About the "maere/mare" etc. In West-Flemish (Belgium) there is a saying
when people announce to somebody, that somebody is going to announce him or
her a bad message, that they will "do him the "mare" : "ze goan U de moare
doen" The "mare" representing the bad message.

Hope this is interesting for You.

Denis Dujardin
dujardin at pandora.be

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Folklore

Denis,

I believe that the _mare_ ~ _maere_ ~ _moare_ you mentioned above goes back to
a different word.  I don't have access to relevant sources at this moment, but
I can say that I am referring to the origin of the archaic German word _Mär_
'tale', 'story', whose diminutive form is found in the word _Märchen_
'fairytale'.  The word *_mara_ 'female ghoul' we mentioned earlier has
developed into Modern German _Mahr_.  Thus, you have _Mär_ vs _Mahr_.  My
theory is that in Dutch the former is defunct and only occurs in phrases like
_de moare doen_ "to do the tale" = 'to bring (bad) news'.