LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.12.05 (05) [E/Danish]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 22:48:40 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.DEC.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Language varieties

Dear Lowlanders,

At a Danish website I found a very interesting article
(http://users.cybercity.dk/~cfs24136/amager.html) entitled "Noter om Amagers
og Saltholms historie" (Notes on the History of Amager and Saltholm).  Among
other things, it describes the presence of a Dutch colony since the early 16th
century in Store Magleby on the island of Amager (near Copenhagen).  The Dutch
(were?) kept separate, with separate laws, until the middle of the 18th
century when they began to intermarry with the Danish population.

The presence of a Dutch colony in Denmark is not all that surprising to me,
since there were similar colonies in Northern Germany (e.g., in the Old Land
[near Hamburg] and in Friedrichstadt [in Schleswig-Holstein]).  I am, however,
particularly intrigued by a paragraph about the language:

===Beginning Quote===
Byens kirkesprog blev plattysk, da de danske myndigheder indkaldte lutheranske
præster fra Holsten til at betjene menigheden i Store Magleby. Det smittede af
på byens sprog, som efterhånden blev en blanding af hollandsk og plattysk. Fra
1735 blev der ansat en dansk hjælpepræst ved kirken for at betjene
kirkegængerne fra Dragør. Dette vakte i begyndelsen megen modstand blandt
hollænderne i Store Magleby. Dansk vandt dog frem i Store Magleby også, og
sidste gang der blev prædiket på Store Maglebys tysk-hollandske blandingssprog
var i 1811. Skolesproget i Store Magleby var også det tysk-hollandske
blandingssprog frem til 1811.
===End Quote===

My translation:

===Beginning Translation===
"Low German became the town's church language, since the Danish bord of
directors had brought in a Lutheran pastor from Holstein [1] to serve the
community in Store [Great] Magleby.  This came to rub off on the town's
language, which henceforth was a mixture of Dutch and Low German [2].
Beginning in 1735, a Danish assistant pastor was employed at the church to
serve churchgoers from Dragør.  Initially this stirred up much resistance
among the Dutch in Store Magleby.  But Danish eventually did gain a foothold
in Store Magleby as well, and the last time a sermon was given in the mixed
German-Dutch language was in 1811.  This mixed German-Dutch language also
served as school language until 1811."
===End Translation===

Notes:
[1] Schleswig-Holstein, now Germany's northernmost state, was intermittently
under Danish rule.
[2] This "Low German" is the same as the language we here often refer to as
"Low Saxon," not part of German (though that used to be the official/common
view in Germany).

Question:
Does any of you have access to samples of this particular language variety or
know where I can find such?  If so, please share it with me (us?).

Thanks and regards,