LL-L "Etymology" 2001.12.20 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 00:12:30 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 20.DEC.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Holger Weigelt <platt at HOLGER-WEIGELT.DE>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2001.12.20 (01) [E]

Hello Muriel !

In Eastern Friesland Low Saxon we have the word "mäiew" that
denotes "seagull" in general. "Koeb" means Larus argenteus and "mäiwkoeb"
is Larus ridibundus.
The same words are reported from the extinct Frisian language of the island
of Wangerooge. There they read: "meew", "kaab" and "mééwkaab". For Larus
argenteus there is also reported "sííliichkaab" (seal-seagull) from
Wangerooge.
We use "sîl" or "si:ling" for seal in Eastern Friesland but I never heard a
word similar to sííliichkaab here.
"Mâl" denotes "silly" or "ridiculous" but
also "bad", "ugly", "nasty", "unpleasant".  This word often occurs in
compound words where it is often shortened to mal~.
In his reply Ron quoted the word "Mallmöhl". This in Eastern Friesland
is "majmöölen".

Kind regards
Holger