LL-L "Administrativa" 2001.12.27 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 18:57:20 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 27.DEC.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

As announced yesterday, I had to postpone my Florida trip.  I now plan to
leave Seattle a few minutes after midnight on Wednesday, January 2, 2002, and
to be back in town a few minutes before midnight on Sunday, January 6, 2002.
Thus, the Lowlands-L hiatus is going to be shorter than expected.  Please
accept my apologies if this causes you any inconvenience anyway.

I have posted to new dates on our homepage
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/lowlands/).

During this five-day break please send your posting submissions as usual (to
lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org).  I will process them on Monday, January
7.

I expect this to be the last administrative announcement of this year.  I
would like to take this opportunity to thank all Lowlands-L subscribers, the
silent ones as well as the vocal ones, for their attention, interest and
support during 2002 and prior to that.  Special thanks are due to those of you
who have been sharing knowledge and have been posing questions, making for
many an interesting exchange of information and opinions.

My personal thanks go to our stand-by editors Sandy Fleming, Ted Harding and
Ian Parsley, especially to Sandy who kindly and ably took over while I visited
Northern Germany in September to see my mother one more time before she passed
away in early November, and to see my dear friends Clara Kramer-Freudenthal
and Wolfgang Hövermann, both of whom are LL-L subscribers.  This sixth year
too (an especially difficult one for me), it has been one of my major sources
of joy and sometimes of comfort to act as the administrator and as a regular
participant on Lowlands-L.

I believe that Lowlands-L has one particular strong point: it brings together
a diverse group of people, and it provides these people with opportunities to
expand their areas of interest as well as their sense of ethnic, cultural and
linguistic identity by realizing interrelationships with others, discovering,
exploring and appreciating those things we share and those things that
distinguish us from each other.  And we have been pursuing our common
interests in a more or less familial atmosphere, certainly in predominantly
welcoming, friendly, open-minded and non-threatening exchanges.  I am also
pleased to know that over the years Lowlands-L has helped several people to
become collaborators and friends.

I am happy to mention that we have been joined by many to whom Lowlandic
languages and cultures are not native but are nevertheless of great interest.
The "core" countries of Lowlands-L subscribers have always been Belgium,
Canada, Germany, the Netherlands, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and the
United States of America, with a good sprinkling of subscribers in the Nordic
countries, Australia and New Zealand.  This year we have been joined by people
from "new" or "rare" countries, such as Argentina, Austria, Belarus, Brazil,
China, Croatia, Cuba, the Czech Republic, Egypt, Hungary, Indonesia, Israel,
Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Korea, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Mexico,
Mongolia, Nigeria, Poland, Romania, Russia, Spain, Taiwan, Turkey, Saudi
Arabia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates,
Uzbekistan, and Yugoslavia.  On behalf of the List, I offer them our warmest
Lowlandic welcome and ask them to make themselves at home among us.  I am also
happy to say that we have been joined by a good number of people who are
under-aged in their respective countries and have subscribed with their
parents' or guardians' permission.

Here is my short wish list for 2002:

(1) more "unlurking" (i.e., more silent subscribers mustering the courage
    to ask questions or share knowledge)

(2) more posting in languages other than English  (We love to read texts
    in related language varieties.  However, please feel free to post in
    *any* language whose script can be displayed here or which can be
    written in romanized form, especially if you do not feel confident
    using English or another Lowlandic language.)

(3) more information about and samples or descriptions of so far rarely
    discussed Lowlandic language or culture varieties (such as North
    Frisian, Sater Frisian, or Shetlandic)

(4) a mentorship program (i.e., a list of volunteers who in their areas of
    expertise are willing to act as advisors or guides to subscribers who
    learn Lowlandic languages or wish to learn more about these languages
    and/or the associated cultures) (If you wish to become a mentor,
    please write to me stating your name, email address, area(s) of
    interest/expertise and the like.)

Best wishes to all of you and your loved ones for the year 2002.  Have fun on
New Year's Eve, but be safe.  Happy Epiphany (January 6)!  To our Orthodox
Christian subscribers happy Christmas (January 7), and to our Islamic
subscribers best wishes for Lailat-ul-Qadar (January 14).

Yours,