LL-L: "Events" LOWLANDS-L, 06.FEB.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 20:51:05 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 06.FEB.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Events

Dear Lowlanders,

Just now I received a copy of the latest issue of _Dat pommersche Blatt_ of
The Pommerscher Verein, Central Wisconsin.  You can find out more about the
association in the North American section of "Nu is de Welt platt!"
(http://www.geocities.com/sassisch/rhahn/low-saxon/plattewelt.htm).  (Click on
any language button, and choose the North American section.)

Among other things, I found in this issue a language course announcement that
may be interesting to a number of you, especially those that live in North
America and will be able to spend four weeks in October in the Midwest.  You
will find the wording of the announcement farther down.  I have also added it
to the said webpage.  For further information please contact the association
(P.O. Box 358, Wausau, WI  54402-0358, USA; Telephone: 715.359.5189, Fax:
715.359.5816, Email: Zamzow at dwave.net).

Obviously, "Platt" here refers to Low Saxon/Low German.  (It is good news that
it is still spoken in Wisconsin.)  I am not sure, but I assume that the
dialect(s) taught will be Pomeranian.  These dialects, which tend to be
classified as "Eastern Low German" (a catch-all category), are quite similar
to those we know as "North Saxon" (of Northwestern Germany), and there is a
very high degree of mutual comprehension between the two.  Like all Eastern
Low German dialects, the Pomeranian ones have Western Slavic substrates or
influences, both lexical and morphological (e.g., the diminutive suffix _-ing_
~ _-ink_ < Pomeranian Slavic *_-inke_ < *_-inka_, e.g., _Mudding_ ~ _Muddink_
'Mommy').

Best regards,
Reinhard/Ron

==begin quote==

"Conversational Platt" Class to be Offered

Ever wonder what those people are saying when they start "snacking" Platt?
Would you like to be able to participate with a few words of your own? Help is
on the way!

The Pommerscher Verein - Central Wisconsin is planning a brand new project. It
is a "Conversational Platt" course to be held this coming October. The class
will be 4 weeks long with 2 sessions per week of 2 hours in length.  The
current plans are for Monday and Wednesday evening beginning on October 1st
and ending on October 24th. These dates are still subject to confirmation. The
course will be held at the University of Wisconsin- Marathon County campus.

The expected enrollees will range from people with little or no knowledge of
Low German who want to learn something about it to those who are more fluent
but just want to participate to brush up on their skills.

The format will be informal and will be run by a "facilitator team" with an
emphasis on practical usage. Also included besides speech, will be some
historical background of Low German, its development and usage, its status
today, catch phrases and humor. The objective will be to learn something in a
relaxing environment and to have good time in the process. Send in the coupon
to get on the list.

==end quote==