LL-L: "Administrativa" LOWLANDS-L, 13.FEB.2001 (02)

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 13 16:42:06 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 13.FEB.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Administrativa

Dear Lowlanders,

Beginning last Thursday, our good hosts as LINGUISTS had some machine
trouble.  The list server was down for a while and has been fully functional
only since late yesterday.  Apparently no submissions have been lost.
However, if you did send something to LL-L and have not seen it appear so far,
please send it again.

I would like to welcome a few new subscribers.  They are from the following
countries, some of them countries that were previously rarely or never
represented: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Cuba,
Denmark, England, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy,
Kazakhstan, Luxemburg, Mongolia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Northern Ireland,
Norway, Pakistan, Poland, Russia, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates, United States of America, and
Wales.  (Sorry if I forgot any.)  Also, it is a special pleasure to welcome
someone from Omrop Fryslân, the TV and radio broadcasting company of Fryslân
(Friesland) in Ljouwert/Leeuwarden, the Netherlands
(http://www.omropfryslan.nl/).  A couple of members of the Fryske Akademy,
also of Ljouwert/Leeuwarden, have been subscribers for quite some time.  Last
but certainly not least, I am happy to welcome back a number of subscribers
that had left us for a while.  Some of them had been subscribers since the
very early days of LL-L (1995) and decided to return "home."  (I do not
mention anyone by name to allow them the option of anonymous lurking.)

This is a good time for me to send you a reminder of the posting guidelines.
This is necessary because of many "slips" lately and because beginning posters
keep making basic mistakes.  This is mandatory reading for all but the most
experienced contributors.

I encourage lurkers to come forward and contribute.  You need not feel
self-conscious or intimidated as long as you stick to the basic guidelines.

PLEASE DO READ THESE GUIDELINES:

(1) KEEP DISCUSSIONS RELEVANT.  Please remember that we deal with the
"Lowlands" area.  This is not synonymous with "Germanic" but excludes German,
Luxemburgish and the North Germanic languages (Scandinavian, Icelandic and
Faroese).  It is perfectly fine to mention these related languages, and any
other languages and their cultures for that matter, especially wherever there
are parallels or connections that are useful in understanding topics that are
within our main subject area.  However, the focus must remain on the Lowlands
languages and cultures.  It is all right to sidestep within a discussion, as
long as the discussion returns to the original focus.  However, this should
not be seen as an excuse to start a new, extraneous subject line.

(2) KEEP SUBJECTS SEPARATE.  Do not submit a single posting in which more than
one topic is discussed.  ("Topic" equals "subject line".)  This also applies
when you respond to other people's postings.

(3) STICK TO THE SUBJECT TITLE.  If you start an entirely new discussion, you
are welcome to create your own subject title.  I may or may not adopt that
title.  (The more general the title is the better is the chance that I'll
adopt it; otherwise I'll generalize it.)  If you respond or add to previous
postings in an already existing subject line, please use the already existing
title of that discussion threat as your subject heading. For instance, if the
current title is "Language varieties" and you respond to what someone wrote
about vowels in Flemish dialects, don't choose something like "Long o and u in
the dialects of Southern Flanders and speech habits of young Belgians" as your
subject heading; stick to "Language varieties," if you like it or not. This
facilitates sorting submissions at my end.  If I feel that the discussion has
changed or a new discussion has branched off an existing one, it is *my* job
to give it a new title.

(4) EDIT QUOTES.  When you reply to what someone else has written, don't just
hit the reply button and write your reply before or after the quoted text.
EDIT OUT WHATEVER IS NOT ESSENTIAL, most definitely the LL-L masthead and
footer.  (They are going to stay, for good reasons.)  Also, don't do what some
do: they follow this rule nicely until they run out of things to say, and then
they let the rest of the quoted text dangle behind their "signature."

(5) GIVE CREDIT.  Don't forget to say who the writer of the text is to which
you are responding.  (When you hit the reply button your system most likely
credits me or "Lowlands-L," the sender, even if I did not write it.)

(6) IDENTIFY YOURSELF.  Anonymous postings are not permitted and will be
ignored.  Readers must be able to see who wrote a posting.  Many people have
automatic "signatures;" they are great, as long as they are not attached. (No
attachments allowed!)  Otherwise, your name must appear either with your email
address or at the end of your contribution.  It is all right to have your
surname appear in one place and your given name in another place within the
same posting.

(7) DO NOT SEND ATTACHMENTS.  Attachments (i.e., attached documents or
pictures), including signature attachments, are unacceptable.  The list server
strips most attachments off submissions and would probably remove the rest
during final distribution if I did not remove them already.  Anyway, sending
attachments without prior approval from recipients is a big no-no in
"netiquette."  So, please put everything you wish to convey inside your email
submissions.

By all means, please feel free to submit postings to LL-L, even if you have
never done so before.  If you make a gross mistake, I'll tell you so privately
and will have you resubmit it correctly before anyone else sees it -- which
isn't the end of the world. If the mistake is not so bad, I'll correct it once
or twice in the hope that you will get the hint eventually.

If you have never posted but are considering getting into it, it's a good idea
to watch the "masters," the "old hands" or "veterans" on LL-L, namely those
subscribers who contribute frequently and have been around for a long time (a
handful of them since the very beginning in 1995!)
Good luck, and keep us posted!

Reinhard "Ron"
Hahn Lowlands-L