LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 19.FEB.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 23:37:15 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 19.FEB.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at starmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 18.FEB.2001 (01) [E/Z]

At 13:32 18/02/01 -0800, Criostoir O Ciardha wrote:

>Ian describes "Learner's Irish" and it seems to me he
>is in fact describing the Irish of the SRG (a minority
>variety of Irish of Belfast with a few hundred
>speakers), which is massively contaminated by a heavy
>English/Ulster-Scots substrate, to the point that the
>syntax of the language is severely affected and
>divergent from other varieties of Irish.

Would it perhaps be more accurate to classify this language
as an Irish-based creole, rather than as a variety of Irish?

  Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                                the barra wadna row its lane
  writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
  the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at starmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 18.FEB.2001 (02) [E]

At 16:18 18/02/01 -0800, Sandy Fleming wrote:
>However, to start a new thread on the above definition from
>Colin, isn't "hyperlallanism" just a language-specific version
>of "hypercorrection"? Admittedly the hypercorrection is going
>in the opposite direction from usual (English to bad Scots
>rather than Scots to bad English), but this should make no
>difference if we can assume equal status for the languages.
>I suppose the reason why Alisdair Allan puts forward a new
>term is that we can't assume equal status - Scots in most
>real-life or even literary situations doesn't have as high
>a status as English, so it's difficult to equate overdone
>Scots with an attempt at correction.

I think the reason is more likely to be for the sake of greater
precision. "Hypercorrection" could mean many things, but
"hyperlallanism" means something very specific.

>I once came across a very useful (and longstanding) definition
>in a dictionary of literary terms. It was "inkhorn term",
>meaning a word or phrase which could only have come from a
>writer's inkhorn rather than anybody's mouth. I think this is
>the perfect term for another common class of ill-advised
>"Lallanisms" - words such as "mucklegate", "faurspaeker",
>"atomstour" &c.

I don't necessarily agree that these terms are ill-advised, but
I do believe (now) that the decision as to whether this is the
right way for Scots to develop, is one that can only be taken by
the Scots-speaking community at large rather than by a
relatively small number of activists. In my view, the main aim for
activists at present ought to be to promote the status of Scots at
its current stage of development.

R.F. Hahn wrote:
>I do not necessarily condone such artificial lexical separatism, but I
>wonder if it is not to be expected, especially where the dominant and the
>dominated languages are so closely related and planners and writers
>therefore have the need (consciously or subconsciously) for making the
>dominated language different, at least to choose a less similar lexical
>item where there is a choice.

I have no objection to this either, but with Scots there is a tendency
on the part of some to use a less similar lexical item even when there
isn't a real choice, because the less similar item is actually wrong.
For example "norie", which people use to mean "idea", actually means
a false or fanciful idea, and anyone who cares to look at the dictionary
can check this. "Screive", which people use to mean "write", actually
means (more or less) "scribble". I could give a good number of others.