LL-L: "Color terms" (was "Language survival") LOWLANDS-L, 20.FEB.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 20 16:12:45 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 20.FEB.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Marco Evenhuis [evenhuis at zeelandnet.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 19.FEB.2001 (04) [E]

Sandy Fleming wrote:

> "blae": To me, this is a dull
> greyish-blue, as in the colour of bilberries (Scots
> "blaeberries", of course) or bruises and suchlike.

In Zeeuws, we have 'blaeuw' for any colour stretching from blue to grey.
It's used less and less in every day speech and replaced bij Dutch 'blauw'
and 'grijs', except when describing the colour of a grey horse. In Dutch
such a horse is called 'schimmel' and the colour is referred to as 'grijs'.
In Zeeuws, we call this kind of horse a 'blaeuwen'.
As opposed to the 'vivid' grey described as 'blaeuw', all dull, darkish,
less explicit colours (greyish, brownish...) are described as 'graeuw'. In
Dutch 'grauw' isn't used as a name for a colour, it's strictly used as an
adjective, dull, grey, plain.

Marco Evenhuis