LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 21.FEB.2001 (07) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 22 00:36:53 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 21.FEB.2001 (07) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson [lcwilson at starmail.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language survival" LOWLANDS-L, 21.FEB.2001 (03) [E]

At 09:23 21/02/01 -0800, Andy Eagle wrote:

>Is not any form of language standardisation 'synthetic'?

Not necessarily: see below.

>I regularly write 'synthetic English' AKA standard English. I know very few
>people who actually speak like that.

So-called "standard" English isn't synthetic, in that it isn't
a synthesis - something that someone has put together, combining
different components from different sources. "Standard" English is
really just a formalised version of the dialect spoken by the
English ruling class.

The term "synthetic Scots" was coined (possibly even by the poet
himself) to describe the work of Hugh MacDiarmid, who wrote poetry
in a form of Scots composed from words drawn from different regional
dialects, as well as a small proportion of obsolete vocabulary
found in dictionaries.

At the time, it was an apt description, but around the time of the
Second World War the word "synthetic" came to be (mis-)applied to
ersatz products so that, for example, "synthetic coffee" was
something that tasted similar to coffee but wasn't coffee. The
connotations of the word "synthetic" are fairly derogatory nowadays,
and are only slightly short of describing something as "fake".

When I sent an early draft of the manuscript for "Stertin Oot in
Scots" to Hodder & Stoughton to be considered for publication, they
(for reasons best known to themselves) gave it to a Gaelic-language
activist to review. I don't know who it was, except that it was
either Boyd Robertson or Iain Taylor, but he gave it a nervous,
anxious review, hostile not just to what I'd written but even to the
very idea of teaching Scots. One of his comments was "the language
in this book appears to be a form of "synthetic Scots".

Although it was no such thing, the reviewer was quite content
to exploit, disingenuously, the now derogatory connotations of the
word "synthetic" to an editor who probably knew nothing of the
significance of the term "synthetic Scots". Needless to say, the
manuscript was rejected for publication.

As a description for a form of Scots derived in this way, I'd
much prefer the term "composite Scots". I'm not convinced of the
need for such a thing, although I do believe that there's a need
for some basic standards, and I also believe there's a great need
for an accepted generic Scots orthography.

  Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                                the barra wadna row its lane
  writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
  the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre