LL-L: "Language planning" LOWLANDS-L, 23.FEB.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 23 15:24:32 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 23.FEB.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ian James Parsley [parsleyij at yahoo.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language planning" (was "Language survival")
LOWLANDS-L,         22.FEB.2001 (04) [E]

Andy and Colin,

You will already be aware of plans for a Language
Learning Centre for Scots to be placed in Co Donegal
later this year.

However, the necessity under the Belfast Agreement
1998 (or 'Good Friday Agreement') for an office in
Donegal means we have had to speed up the process
somewhat.

At a recent meeting in Dublin with Donall O Riagain,
senior EBLUL adviser, he pointed out that there was no
point in such a centre without it being linked to
education in schools and that, in addition, there was
no point in placing Scots into the school system
without decent teaching materials (and materials for
teacher training). Of course, these are nigh
impossible without as least an 'educational standard',
because it will be unbelievably confusing to try to
teach people Modern Scots without some written
material, and that written material must be consistent
(you can change the system after a generation, but
it's no good tampering with it every year). This means
a form of 'Composite' or 'General' Scots is required
urgently, and that it must be agreed with Scotland
otherwise we'll end up having to do our own materials
on either side of the North Channel, and that would be
a ludicrously unnecessary expense for each side if we
can do them together.

However, before we can even do that we have to raise
awareness of the need for such a 'standard' or
'guidelines' among native speakers, and explain
exactly what it would be used for.

Regards,

=====