LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 03.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 3 15:16:16 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Catherine Buma [cpunzy at hotmail.com]
Subject: Language Evolution

All

I have been researching Frisian history for the past six months,
particularly the 7th and 8th centuries, and have found several references to
the fact that the Frisian language became distinguishable from other
languages in the 8th century.  (By Frisian language I am referring to the
modern day province of Fryslan).

If this is true, why?  Did it have something to do with the geography of
Fryslan during this time or particular events such as incorporation into the
Carolingian empire or such?

I can't seem to find a terrible lot of English language material on Frisian
history or language so I hope that someone here can help me.

Thanks

Catherine Buma