LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 03.JAN.2001 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 00:11:17 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 03.JAN.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Language varieties"

Catherine Buma wrote:

>>> I have been researching Frisian history for the past six
months, particularly the 7th and 8th centuries, and have found
several references to the fact that the Frisian language became
distinguishable from other languages in the 8th century.  (By
Frisian language I am referring to the modern day province of
Fryslan).

>>> If this is true, why?  Did it have something to do with the
geography of Fryslan during this time or particular events such
as incorporation into the Carolingian empire or such?

Frisian didn't begin to be written until the 1200's, so other
than proper place and personal names, we don't have direct
evidence for Frisian from the 7th or 8th century: that dating is
an estimate, and an inherently and a difficult one, since even
centuries later, Frisian and Middle English remained quite
similar.  At best you can pick a range of time when related
languages have grown apart from each other enough to constitute
separate languages.

If your standard is simply being able to distinguish Frisian
from Old Saxon and Old English, those two languages were
assumedly diverging from each other, and presumably from
Frisian, well before 700.
The dating circa 700 is not unreasonable, though you could
easily argue for an earlier date; lack of data and universally
agreed-upon criteria makes it impossible to date it precisely.
If your project will permit it, you might do well to leave it at
a broad range and note the limitations of the data.

As far as why the languages diverged: all languages change
continuously, and unless different communities have enough
interaction to keep their changes coordinated, they inevitably
drift apart.  Frisia was relatively isolated by its marshy
terrain.  On the other hand, the Frisians were very active
traders at that time, so at least some fraction of the
population had frequent contact with outsiders, even though most
of those outsiders spoke very similar languages.
Still, the relative isolation seems to be what kept Frisian from
picking up much outside influence, unlike Platt, which became
partially High-Germanized (e.g. loss of palatalization: Kark
like German Kirche vs. Engl. church or Frisian tsjurke, quite
aside from at least orthographic interference from Old High
German from the start, circa 800 AD).

Have you looked at Orrin Robinson's Old English and its Closest
Relatives?  It doesn't treat the matter in depth, but might help
steer you towards other relevant works.  Admittedly, much of the
research is not in English.

Stefan Israel