LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 04.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 4 20:07:50 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Edwin Michael Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]
Subject: LL-L: "Language varieties" LOWLANDS-L, 04.JAN.2001 (01) [E]

At 07:59 AM 01/04/01 -0800, Ron wrote:
>  The question I need to add to John's is this: Why then did early speakers of
>Old English consider themselves ethnically Anglian and Saxon (and establish
>Anglian and Saxon kingdoms in Britain) when their language was supposedly so
>different (i.e., belonged to another sub-branch) from Anglian and Old Saxon?
>What could account for this relatively sudden language switch of people who or
>whose recent ancestors had immigrated to the British Isles from an area
>situated in today's Southern Denmark and Northern Germany?
>
>Of course, there is this theory floating around (I think mentioned by Robinson
>as well) that Anglian and Saxon migrants had mixed with Frisians on their way
>to the British Isles, probably after staying in Frisia for a while.  In other
>words, this would mean that Frisians participated in the Germanic colonization
>of the British Isle but that they have not received sufficient credit, perhaps
>because they were mixed in with Anglians and Saxons and did not claim their
>own Frisian-dominated territories in Britain.
>
>I do not know how "wild" this theory is still considered at this time.
>However, it does not seem implausible to me, especially if we imagine that the
>migrating Anglians and Saxons were predominantly male and married Frisian
>women who first taught their children Frisian, which would have helped to
>speed up the development of an Anglo-Saxo-Frisian creole.  If so, we would not
>have an Anglo-Frisian sub-branch but simply a Frisian one.
>
>Is anyone seriously investigating these alternative possibilities, or are we
>forever married to the "Anglo-Frisian" theory because it predominates in the
>literature and is standard in high school and university courses?

This has always puzzled me, too.  And why are the Franks never brought into
the mix?  There is good evidence for Frankish settlement in Kent, Sussex,
and Hampshire in the 6th and 7th centuries as there is evidence that
Frankish kings claimed Kent as their dominion during this period.  The
Venerable Bede himself notes that Ethelbert of Kent married Bertha 'of the
royal stock of the Franks'.  Would this not be a possible explanation for
the harder 'r's' of the southwestern counties of England which continue to
this day (there and, for example, in General American)?

I think there is another questionable assumption here that these various
groups of Frisians, Saxons, etc. really considered themselves so
separate.  Was this the case?  For example, here in Canada one might
identify oneself as a Canadian, a North American, an European (or whatever)
descendant, a white person (or whatever), a Torontonian, etc etc depending
upon the context.  We know that people today who speak Frisian and Low
Saxon can read (with some difficulty albeit) Old English (certainly a lot
more easily than speakers of Modern English!).  If there is this affinity
even 1500 years later, no doubt the differences between them linguistically
probably weren't any greater than between, say, General American and
Jamaican, if that.  When Canadians travel to Britain, they are usually
identified by their speech as "Americans", which they are always very eager
to correct.  Over here, we speak of the "British" accent as if there were
really only one.  Did the average Frisian consider him or herself a Frisian
like it was some sort of nationality or in any sort of modern way?  Or was
it more like the way people in Manhattan consider themselves somewhat
different from those living in Brooklyn, but all agree they are New Yorkers.

It is all very convenient to lay our modern boundaries on these people, but
the world was quite different back then and we end up with perhaps more
questions than answers by this approach.

My own theory is that while I cannot explain why the terms Anglo and Saxon
survive as names of the people while Frisian and Frank (and Jute) do not as
names of the invaders, it was not long before they started calling their
language "English" which would indicate to me that the creolization process
amalgamating the dialects of the various contributors into a mutually
comprehensible speech and vocabulary began early and was recognized as
"different" from the language of the continent.

Ed Alexander
JAG REALTY INC.
80 Jones Street Hamilton, Ontario, Canada L8R 1Y1
Pager: 905-312-5204  Fax: 905-525-6671 Email: edsells at idirect.com
Jag Realty Inc.: http://www.deerhurst.com/jag/

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language varieties

Thanks, Ed.

Yes, I find it quite conceivable that early Germanic settlers/invaders in
Britain first considered themselves Saxons, Angels and Jutes (and probably
Frisians) and then gradually began to consider themselves Saxon, Anglian and
Jutish (and probably Frisian) Englishmen and -women, before dropping the
ethnic prefixes.

I assume that, for a while, people still hung on to a sense of their
respective continental ethno-geographic origins, or at least to those of their
respective rulers.  Also, English missionaries seemed to have returned to the
land of their ancestors to Christianize people there, and they appear to have
had relatively easy access to the Old Saxon used there (since Early Old
English and Old Saxon seemed to have been mutually intelligible to a fairly
high degree), though they may have have used Old Saxon with Old English
interference.  The question is if they really had a sense of this being their
ancestral land like, say, a Dutch-Canadian sees the Netherlands nowadays.

In 1998 we discussed the famous (?) supposedly Old Saxon baptismal
(Christianization) oath from what is now Northern Germany.  This is what I