LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 14.JAN.2001 (01) [Ap/E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 14 23:01:11 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 14.JAN.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: "Grammar" (was "Morphology")

Ian James Parsley wrote:

> Now, the commas I've inserted there are in fact 'grammatical',
> they are not reflective of any break in speech. However, my
> point is that it is questionable whether the construction is
> actually 'my brother his car' - I suspect it is 'my brother,
> (well) his car'.

That is just the kind of ambiguity that can lead a new
generation of speakers to come up with a different grammar (I
mean unconsciously in their head as they learn to speak) for the
same speech output.  In this case (in this instance! sorry;),
the -s went from being an ending to being seen as a pronoun.
SInce -es and -his have both been reduced to just [s], [z] or at
most [@s] after sibilant consonants, the two grammars have
remerged.
Note that I am referring not to textbook-defined grammar, but to
the grammar that each individual speaker constructs as a child-
no two speakers have constructed -exactly- the same grammar, but
as long as they're close, there's no problem.  It is because
each speaker has to come up with their grammar essentially from
scratch that languages diverge so readily, whenever speakers are
separated by time or borders or social barriers etc., and thus
can't or won't coordinate their shifting grammar.

This possessive -s/his is a good example: here's a contemporary
one:  I see my students writing "should have" as "should of"--
they are pronounced identically in our casual speech, and the
students have lost sight that [@v] is (or to be exact, was
originally) from "have".  My generation still sees the
connection; the new generation (predominantly) doesn't.  My
guess is that "should have" will soon become simply "shoulda" as
one word.

What other examples in Lowland languages can people think of,
where you can see how an ambiguous construction/pronunciation
has led a later generation to reinterpret the grammar?  There
should be plenty of examples.

Stefan Israel
stefansfeder at yahoo.com

From: Edwin Alexander [edsells at idirect.com]