LL-L: "Language variety" LOWLANDS-L, 16.JAN.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 17:47:58 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 16.JAN.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Stefan Israel [stefansfeder at yahoo.com]
Subject: Language varieties

Ron wrote about the "Hanover-syndrom":

> Anyway, I hardly think that forty years later you would find
> more than a
> small handful of serious "experts" who spout off such stuff
> and still hold
> their positions.  I would be quite dismayed if I were proven
> wrong.

Sad to say: I'm still hearing the myth among German teachers
hüben wie drüben--  no, not among people who have seriously
studied linguistics, but that's a small minority of language
teachers and grammar amateurs.  It takes time for new ideas to
diffuse, particularly if the old idea fills a need, such as
giving people (particularly Hannoveran!) a definitive if
exaggerated benchmark for the best language.  And
non-Hanoverians who think highly of themselves like to be able
to say they speak as well as an identifiable 'best speakers'.

Stefan

Fraom: Eldo Neufeld [greneuf at interchange.ubc.ca]