LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 17.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 21:34:11 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 17.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: niels winther [niels.winther at dfds.dk]
Subject: Etymology

Stefan wrote:

> Interestingly, Danish himmel is listed as a Low German borrowing.
> My Danish and Swedish dictionaries don't list
> the Norse himin- surviving at all;
> Icelandic on the other hand has stayed with himinn.

The notation _himmel_ is in my opinion an ortographical loan

since early Danish: _him(m)æn_ , _himæl_

Also Modern Danish _himmerig(e)_ from

early Danish: _himiriki_, himæriki_

It might also be of some interest that North-Western-Jutish has

subst. _him_    [him]    :a covering  (clouds on sky or mould on food)

verb   _hime_   [hi:m]   :to cover (by clouds or mould)

adj.   _himet_  [hi:m at D] :covered  (by clouds or mould)

The adjective is also known in South-Western-Jutish [hi:m@].

rgds

niels

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]

Thanks for the above, Niels.

There are related words in Norwegian also:

Dano-Norwegian (Bokmål):

_hime_ 'something semi-transparent', 'thin cover', 'layer of mist'

New Norwegian (Nynorsk):

_him_ 'something semi-transparent'

_hime_ 'thin cover (e.g., of clouds or snow)', 'layer of mist'; 'to be thinly
covered', 'to be nebulous', 'to be unclear', 'to cloud over'

_himet_ 'covered by a thin layer'

I wonder if there are Lowlandic relatives other than possibly _himmel_.