LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 19.JAN.2001 (02) [E/F]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 20:44:31 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: HS Brandsma [hsbrand at sloep154.cs.vu.nl]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 09.JAN.2001 (01) [E]

Better let as net... (in skoft gjin e-post le^zen..)

Oer/About "keek"

> I cannot find a Westerlauwer ("West") Frisian cognate.

Older Westerlauwer Frisian (Gysbert Japickx) has "kytse", "kykje" as
the verb "to look at", which in modern dialects has been replaced by
"sjen". This might gave been peculiar to his South west dialect though..

> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

> This just came up in my mind, and I might be way off the mark
> here (probably), but did anyone think of a relation between
> Frisian "heit" and English "head"? As in the father being the
> head of the family.
>
> regards,
> Henry

Frisian also has "haad", meaning "head of something" (the part of the
body is called "holle"). Also, the -t is not explained that way, and
the vowel is still strange..
Another posting also defended the "children's word" idea, linking it
to "daddy" and such like.

> slightly different words: we have _maat_ 'chum' and _mate_ 'measure'.
> Also, the plurals are different: _möte_ 'chums' and _maten_ 'measures'.
>
> Does this help in any way?
>
> Henry

Also, in Westerlauwer Frisian the vowels are very different:
maat=mate, and mjitte = to measure.

Henno Brandsma