LL-L: "Grammar" LOWLANDS-L, 22.JAN.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 23 03:36:38 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 22.JAN.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Kevin Caldwell [kdcaldw at interserv.com]
Subject: Grammar

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]

>This is a different point. But in any case, is it possible to argue
>convincingly that it is changes in morphology which have forced a
>restriction on the position of the verb? To take a very simple example, OE

>usually (but by no means always) put the verb in second place in a
sentence
>beginning "Tha" ("then). You find the same thing (and the same exceptions)

>in the King James Bible (early 17th century), the morphology of whose
>English is almost identical with that of the modern language. Today,
>however, we do not use the form *"Then said he ...".

But most English speakers would understand such a construction.  In fact, I

can think of several modern English examples, including children's songs,
that
use this word order (notably, all the examples I could think of involve
going
or coming, and are all from songs or rhymes):

1) [childrens' song]
Itsy bitsy spider climbed up the water spout.
Down came the rain and washed the spider out.
Out came the sun and dried up all the rain,
and the itsy bitsy spider climbed up the spout again.

2) [children's taunting rhyme]
[boy's name] and [girl's name] sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
First comes love,
Then comes marriage,
Then comes a baby in a baby carriage.

3) a recent (early 80's) Christian song called "Then Came the Morning."

4) "The Trolley Song" (from a movie of the 40's or 50's)
Clang, clang, clang went the trolley...

5) [nursery rhyme]
Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet,
eating her curds and whey.
Along came a spider
And sat down beside her
And frightened Miss Muffet away.

These all seem to be a way of introducing new information at the end of a
statement.  Number 4 is more like a direct quote, and Modern English seems
to favor, or at least allow, inverted word order after direct quotes
("What's for dinner?" asked John.)

Kevin Caldwell
kdcaldw at interserv.com