LL-L: "History" (was "Etymology") LOWLANDS-L, 24.JAN.2001 (06) [E/German]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 00:42:19 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 24.JAN.2001 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: john feather [johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk]
Subject: Etymology

Ron wrote:

>And there was an earlier period of direct contacts between North German
ports
and Russia's city of Novgorod during the Hanseatic Trading League era <

The fall of Novgorod is described amusingly in Dieter Zimmerling's book "Die
Hanse: Handelsmacht im Zeichen der Kogge".

"Nichts deutete am 5. November 1494 darauf hin, daß dies der letzte Tag der
Hanse in Nowgorod sein würde. Es war ein Tag wie jeder andere. Nach einer
sternklaren Frostnacht hatte sich der Himmel gegen Morgen bezogen. Mühsam
kämpfte sich das Tagelicht durch die Wolken. Schnee lag in der Luft. Wie
gewöhnlich hatte der Hofwächter die Hunde wieder eingesperrt und ihnen rohes
Fleisch zum Fressen hingeworfen, und wie gewöhnlich ... <

"Nothing on 5 November 1494 indicated that this would be the last day of the
Hansa in Novgorod. It was a day just like any other. After a clear frosty
night the sky had clouded over towards morning. The daylight struggled with
difficulty to get through the clouds. There was snow in the air. The watchman
had as usual shut the dogs in again and thrown them raw meat to eat, and as
usual ..."

The amusement lies in the fact that he goes on in this way for a whole page
before dealing with the actual storming of the Kontor in one sentence.

In view of the detailed research which the author clearly did on the weather
the night before the day concerned I think we can take his word when he says
that the languages spoken were Russian and German.

John Feather johnfeather at sceptic1.freeserve.co.uk

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: History

John wrote (above):

> In view of the detailed research which the author clearly did on the > weather the night before the day concerned I think we can take his word > when he says that the languages spoken were Russian and German.

I think not, considering that Low Saxon/Low German was usually contained
within "German" and unfortunately continues to be so in many slower minds.
But ... oops!  I guess you were jesting.  Well, at least he did his
meterological research very well ... or not?