LL-L: "Online resources" LOWLANDS-L, 28.JAN.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 28 22:53:23 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 28.JAN.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Online resources"

> From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
> Subject: "Online resources"
>
> [The following is in Scots and in English]
>
> The latest on ScotsteXt is "A Edinburgh Alphabet" bi Evelyn Beale an
> Winifred Christie. This is a collection o bairn's ABC picturs fae the
> 1900's in a Art Nouveau style conform tae the period.

Lowlanders,

When considering the possibility of people printing off the
above pictures for children to colour in, it dawned on me
that it's rather awkward to print ScotsteXt pages. This is
something that has never confronted me before because I
always have the original books to read offline!

Accordingly, I've programmed a check box into the usual
menu selection form which, when checked before submitting
the form, retrieves the requested page in a format suitable
for printing. The font sizing options still work in print
format.

I don't normally report merely technical changes to
Lowlands-L, but this one seemed too much of an improvement
to the reading experience to pass by.

I'm aware that some ScotsteXt pages, mainly the poems and
songs, are still in the old "static" format. This is
because some books contain so many items that it's
difficult to make a pleasant experience out of exploring
them via a menu structure. This year I plan to solve this
problem by setting up a database which will make it possible
to provide a much more versatile search and select interface.

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.