LL-L: "Music" LOWLANDS-L, 02.JUL.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 18:41:26 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.JUL.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From:  fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: LL-L: "Music" (was "Pronouns") LOWLANDS-L, 29.JUN.2001 (02) [Ap/E]

Hey.

     It was Howie Mitchell's album on Folkways Records that got me
started playing the dulcimer. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to find one
since there was a dulcimer-maker living nearby. I wish I could remember
the name of the album (a rare lapse of memory for me) since it came with
a booklet that not only described the making of dulcimers, but also their
tuning in the eight modes and an effort to represent in tabulature his
method of chording and picking.
     A banjo roll can be replicated on the dulcimer by fingerplucking the
strings thus: forefinger hits bass string, thumb hits melody string,
forefinger hits middle string, thumb hits melody string again. Then do it
fast!
     Most of the chords that are played on the dulcimer are inversions.
Don't expect to stack up a neat little trichord. Good luck!

+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.