LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 10.JUL.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 21:36:36 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 10.JUL.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Jonathan Riddell <jr050 at jriddell.org>
Subject: Etymology questions

> - has anyone ever heard of words coming back into fashion, like clothing dus?

I've noticed Americans using the word jelly where most Scots now say jam.
Of course it should really be jeely.

> - does anyone know the etymology of "gnarly" (slang for (also slang) cool)

I've not heard it meaning that.  When does slang stop being slang?  Surly
cool has been used for long enough that its moved into mere coloquialism.

Jonathan Riddell

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Etymology

The author of the quoted bits in the response above is Henry Pijffers
<henry.pijffers at home.nl>.

Lowlanders, please always give the name of the person to whose posting you
respond, irrespective of if you quote them or not.  (And the author is never
"Lowlands-L".)  It's not only a good nettiquette thing to do, but it also
makes it easier for people to trace threads back (e.g., by using the archive
at <http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/lowlands-l.html>).

Thanks for your cooperation.