LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.2001 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 23:58:22 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.JUL.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 23.JUL.2001 (01) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Ted Harding <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk> wrote regarding a component
>
>> Near Wisbech is a cluster of settlements of which major ones are
>> Tydd St Mary and Tydd St Giles (by no means big, though). Others
>> (really tiny) are Tydd Gote and Four Gotes.
>>
>> My question is: "What's a Gote?"
>>
>> And then, possibly, "Whence the word?"
>>
>> The sense of one piece of oldish text I've come across suggests it
>> may be a sluice (? sluice Gate->Gote ?).
>>
>> Another suggestion is a [drainage?] channel (cf. River Goyt in
>> Derbyshire/Cheshire which "Concise Oxford Dictionary of English
>> Placenames" attibutes to "Welsh 'gwyth' `channel, conduit`, identical
>> with Old Cornish 'guid' `a vein`, Middle Breton 'goeth' `a brook`.)
>
> I replied (after what seems to be a wrong lead):
>
>> Might these "gotes" in your area have anything to do with
>> Westerlauwers Frisian _goate_ ~ _goatte_ 'gutter'?  (Cf. _goat_ ~
>> _goate_ 'downpour')
>> There's your connection with water and sluices perhaps.  Am I getting
> warm?
>
> What a difference umlauting can make!  Only after I sent off my
> German, North Saxon dialect) cognate: _Göte_ ['g9:te] ~ _Gööt_ [g9:t]
> (_geute_ ~ _geut_ in Dutch-based orthography [< Middle LS _gote_ <
> *_gôta_]) 'gutter', 'drain', 'ditch', 'downpour' (feminine, pl.
> _Göten_ ['g9:t=n]; cf. _geiten_ ['gEIt=n] 'to pour'; cf. Dutch _goot_
> < _gote_ 'gutter', etc., _gieten_ 'to pour'; cf. German _Gosse_
> 'gutter', etc., _gießen_ 'to pour).
>
> This seems to connect nicely with the idea of "drainage channel."

Well, I can only say that this looks very warm indeed!

And, after the rest of your information (here snipped) I can
only say "Wow!!".

Now if some of the denizens of Continental Fenland can point to
places with _Göte_ or the like in their names, then I think the
circle (of circumstantial evidence at least) would be closed.

Many thanks, Ron!

And now, somebody, what about "roddon"?

Best wishes to all,
Ted.