LL-L: "Place names" (was "Etymology") LOWLANDS-L, 25.JUL.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 25 14:51:23 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.JUL.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: (Ted Harding) <Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 24.JUL.2001 (01) [E/LS]

On 24-Jul-01 Lowlands-L wrote:
> ----------
> Ted Harding wrote:
>
>> Now if some of the denizens of Continental Fenland can point to
>> places with _Göte_ or the like in their names, then I think the
>> circle (of circumstantial evidence at least) would be closed.
>
> I wonder if Neustadtgödens (Low Saxon *_Neestadtgödens_?) on the
> eastern edge
> of Eastern Friesland (not far from Willemshaben/Wilhelmshaven)
> qualifies.
>
> But, Ted, do you really need this word to occur in Continental place
> names to be convinced?

Not absolutely, but it would help!

The point is, that the meaning we're groping for on the English
side seems likely to be related to features (channel etc) which could
be verified (or if not extant possibly traced historically).

To find a cognate placename in continental Fenland, where the cognate
word means something similar and also the place itself has similar
features would reinforce the conclusion that the English word and
the Continental word refer to the same thing.

(Just a matter of establishing semantic communality across the sea
by primitive means, I suppose: You point to your drain and I point to
my drain, and we both say something which sounds like "Gote".
Then we can both go and have a "beer"/"bier", whose semantic
communality can be established in the same way, if necessary.)

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972