LL-L: "Virus warning" LOWLANDS-L, 26.JUL.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 26 16:29:54 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.JUL.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Virus warning

Folks,

We have been getting computer virus warnings from our technicians here.  These
are serious/genuine.  The SirCam virus has struck widely, also around here.
The bottom line is that it is unwise to open any attachments you know nothing
about, even if they come with messages from people you know.

Below is an excerpt from one of the warning messages I received.

Take care!
Reinhard/Ron

***quote***

PLEASE NOTE: The effect of running this virus is that random documents are
sent to a lot of people in your address book.  The documents, chosen are
random, could very easily be confidential information, etc.

Do not open any e-mails attachments send with an e-mail that contain the
following text:

English:

I send you this file in order to have your advice
Or
I hope you can help me with this file that I send
Or
I hope you like the file that I sendo you
Or
This is the file with the information that you ask for

Spanish:

Te mando este archivo para que me des tu punto de vista
Or
Espero me puedas ayudar con el archivo que te mando
Or
Espero te guste este archivo que te mando
Or
Este es el archivo con la información que me pediste

In general, do not open any attachment you get through e-mail unless you are
expecting it.  Even then, make sure that your virus scanning software is up to
date before opening it.

***end quote***