LL-L: "Language maintenance" (was "Language survival") LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAR.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 22:38:08 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAR.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Catherine Buma [cpunzy at hotmail.com]
Subject: Language Survival

Lowlanders

"Question: does this phenomenon occur in other countries and other
languages?"

Ed Alexander wrote:

"In Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, we had a HUGE influx of Dutch and Frisian
speaking peoples after WWII, and they established a very large number of
Reformed Churches in and around the area.  To the best of my knowledge,
however, there are no services in Dutch, to say nothing of Frisian.  They
have
their own nursing home (where my Frisian informant Nick Klynstra passed away
in early February) where one hears a lot of Dutch and Frisian, but that's
about it.

In recent years, there have been "Heritage Language classes" in Dutch in the
school system, but I don't know any children of Dutch immigrants who can do
more that understand the spoken language, if that."

What a coincidence, I am currently living in Australia but originate from
none other than Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, (Hi Ed).  My parents were one of
the Frisian speaking immigrants of which Ed refers.  I do think that he
undervalues the use of the Dutch and Chrisitian Reformed churches
established in the area as far as preserving language.  Despite the fact
that services are not conducted in Dutch or Frisian, the social aspect of
the church encourages a community of Dutch and Frisian speakers.  It is my
experience that the children of these immigrants do, in fact, speak the
language of their parents, (although it smacks of 1950's Holland).  And if
you attend a Dutch church, you MUST attend a Dutch school as well.  So the
sense of community and attachment to "all things Dutch" is very strong.

So it is the Reformed church that has been crucial to preserving the Dutch
and Frisian communities in Southern Ontario, Canada.  My parents decided to
leave the Reformed church, for doctrinal reasons, while we were very young
and subsequently, I do not speak Frisian fluently.  However, any of my
numerous cousins of the same age do speak both Frisian and Dutch as they
remained in the Reformed church and school system.

Catherine Buma

Personal Aside - Ron, thanks for letting all of us know so quickly that you
were alright - thank God that nothing happened to you.  I have several
friends in Seattle and they were as shaken up as you were.  Take care.