LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 04.MAR.2001 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 5 00:41:03 UTC 2001

  L O W L A N D S - L * 04.MAR.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andrys Onsman [A.Onsman at utas.edu.au]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 04.MAR.2001 (03) [E]

To Reinhart

>I wonder if vartecken means something akin to waarteken in Dutch, a
>sign of being true, a pledging of one's troth. It would make sense
>in this instance. Does anyone know when the exchanging of rings
>began, and where it came from? Doesn't the timescale make the
>Goddess association unlikely?

Andrys Onsman

--
Dr Andrys Onsman
Riawunna

Phone  + 61.3.6226 2539
Mobile  0438  667623
Fax  + 61.3.62262575
E-mail  A.Onsman at utas.edu.au

----------

From: R. F. Hahn [sassisch at yahoo.com]
Subject: Etymology

Thanks, Andrys!

>I wonder if vartecken means something akin to waarteken in Dutch, a
>sign of being true, a pledging of one's troth.

That's what I assumed (_waar_ 'troth'), but obviously I did not make this
clear enough.

>Doesn't the timescale make the
>Goddess association unlikely?

Of course Sweden was formally Christian at the time (in the 16th century).
But this Var connection could have been a linguistic vestige from
pre-Christian times.  Also, as you know, traditional European customs and
symbols, including those in weddings, are frequently based on pre-Christian
beliefs, and even the beliefs themselves hung for centuries, which is what
the Holocaust known as "witchhunts" was all about.