LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 09.MAR.2001 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 10 01:07:09 UTC 2001

L O W L A N D S - L * 09.MAR.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Roger Thijs [roger.thijs at euro-support.be]
Subject: LL-L: "Etymology" LOWLANDS-L, 09.MAR.2001 (01) [E]

[sjoe.smit at wxs.nl]
> Subject: A phrase of interest
>
> ...Perhaps some of you
> could supply this phrase in languages that you know. It is written in
> form of Old English and is: "léoht ond lif samod". The modern English
> translation is: "light and life together". I believe that the Dutch
> translation is: "licht en leven samen", though I am merely a student
of
> "de Nederlandse taal"'and may have made a slight mistranslation. I am
> particularly curious about the word "samod" and wonder if it has a
> connexion with the modern English word "same".

One of the oldest known occurences of the "sama" root in old Limburgish
dates from 1130:

Tesi __samanunga__ vvas edele unde scona
Et omnium virtutum pleniter plena
(follows the list of members of the abbey
of Munsterbilzen in Belgian Limburg)

This community was noble and beautifull
etc.
(from the "Wachtendonkse pslalmen")