LL-L: "Idiomatica" LOWLANDS-L, 02.MAY.2001 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Wed May 2 14:58:56 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.MAY.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Kevin Caldwell" <kdcaldw at interserv.com>
Subject: Idiomatica

My mother used this device too, or at least something similar - usually the
object of the made-up verb was "you".  She was born in West Tennessee and
raised around Russellville, Kentucky, and is of mainly Swedish/Scottish
descent, with some Cherokee and maybe some Dutch, Creek, and who knows what
else thrown in.  I think her ancestors migrated from northern Georgia to
West Tennessee after the Civil War.  The only specific example that comes to
mind (although I know she used this device a lot) is:

"Be quiet!  Daddy's taking a nap!"
"But I'm playing Superman!"
"I'll Superman you if you don't be quiet!"

Kevin Caldwell
kdcaldw at interserv.com