LL-L: "Resources" LOWLANDS-L, 11.MAY.2001 (01) [E/S]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 18:28:40 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.MAY.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From:  Francis de Ruijte <Francis.de.Ruijte at paxetbonum.net>
Subject: LL-L: "Resources" LOWLANDS-L, 10.MAY.2001 (05) [E/S]

> From: Andy.Eagle at t-online.de (Andy Eagle)
> Subject: Online Resources [S/E]
>
> [English follows]
>
> http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk is daein a survey for tae see gin thare's demand

> for "on-line access to 18 000 hours of sound material from the voices of
our
> ancestors in Gaelic and Scots currently held in BBC, School of Scottish
> Studies and Canna."
>
> This survey is bein rin bi Sabhal Mor Ostaig the Gaelic College on Skye
>
> http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/dualchas/questionaire.html.
>
> Lat thaim ken sic like is sair needit on the wab.
> http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk are conducting a survey in order to determine
> whether tthere is  demand for on-line access to 18 000 hours of sound
> material from the voices of our
> ancestors in Gaelic and Scots currently held in BBC, School of Scottish
> Studies and Canna.
> This survey is being conducted by Sabhal Mor Ostaig the Gaelic College in

> Skye
>
> http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/dualchas/questionaire.html.
>
> Lat them know that this is really needed on the web.
>
> Andy Eagle

A very interesting and well made questionnaire.
I would encourage to add your belonging to Lowland-List.
Greetings.
Francis de Ruijte <Francis.de.Ruijte at paxetbonum.net>

----------

From:  R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Dear Lowlanders,

This sounds like a wonderful project.  I encourage all those interested in
Scots (and/or Gaelic) to respond to the appeal and support the project.
The site is well presented.  Quite some time ago I collaborated with
Caoimhín Ó Donnaíle (caoimhin at smo.uhi.ac.uk) on his page series
"Mion-chànanan na h-Eòrpa / European minority languages"
(http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/saoghal/mion-chanain/Failte_en.html) which
appears to be presented on the same server.  I can't tell if Caoimhín will
be directly involved in the planned project, but I expect he will be.  I
found him to be very passionate about the Celtic languages, with an open
mind for and a supportive attitude toward other minority languages of
Europe, and with sincerity in his endeavors and responsiveness in
collaboration.

It is encouraging to see that the college is willing to embark on this
endeavor.  I wish there were similar levels of engagement with regard to
other Lowlands languages.