LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.04 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 4 19:55:51 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Brian Frerichs" <frerichs at midwest.net>
Subject: Language Varieties

List,

First, a little background information.  I am from an area in East
Central Illinois where there are many people of East Frisian
heritage.  For the most part, the East Frisian Low German in this area
is spoken only by those over the age of 70.  I am 31 years
old, and belong to the first generation in the area to be raised without
Low German being spoken in the home.

I've noticed words ending in "cht" seem to be pronounced very
differently between Low German speakers here and those in
Germany.  Here, the German "cht" sound seems to have been completely
dropped.  For example, the words _nacht_ and _sacht_
sound like "naaw" and "saaw", and _wicht_ and _licht_ sound like "veyah"
and "leyah".  Could this "softening" of the "cht" sound be
a result of English influences?  Or is the German sounding "cht" used by
German speakers a result of High German influences?  Or
somewhere in between?

I also have a question about the word _verdaag_ ("today").  I usually
see the word written _vandaag_, _vundaag_, _vondage_, etc.  In
my area, the word is pronounced "fadaaw" or "fedaaw", without the "n"
sound.  An acquaintance of mine in Harlingerland has also
used the spelling _verdaag_.   Would anyone care to give a geographical
comparison of the different pronunciations, similar to the
one given for _proten_?

Thank you,
Brian Frerichs