LL-L "Music" 2001.11.04 (04) [E] (was "Language varieties")

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 02:06:46 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 04.NOV.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: fr.andreas at juno.com
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.04 (01) [E]

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001 11:55:51 -0800 "Roger Thijs"
<roger.thijs at euro-support.be> writes:
"I thought I bought some songs in "Appalachian" language, buying at
Atlanta airport the CD: "Yo-yo Ma, Edgar Meyer, Marc O'Connor:
Appalachian Journey". It's nice string music, not vocal. Are there folk
singers in Appalachian? Did they get their songs on CD?"
     Indeed, Roger, there is lots of Appalachian vocal music on CD!
Please allow me to recommend the work of Ralph Stanley and of Loretta
Lynn. Dr Stanley is a speaker of Southern Appalachian from Southwestern
Virginia. Ms Lynn is a speaker of Central Appalachian from Eastern
Kentucky. Neither are folk musicians, really, but popular musicians.
Both
are <ahem> brilliant.
     The (U.S.) Library of Congress did record some Southern and Central
Appalachian folk music during the third decade of the previous century.
Some of these recordings are available commercially.
     I, too, own the recording "Appalachian Journey." It's lovely, but
not really so Appalachian. Rather like Copeland's "Appalachian Spring,"
it was, I think, just in need of a name.
Yours,
+Fr Andreas Richard Turner.