LL-L "Language varieties" 2001.11.05 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 16:06:23 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 05.NOV.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Browne, Kevin at Astronaut" <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: language varieties

Hoi allemaal!

I just wanted to comment quickly about Colin and Sandy's contributions.
I've
found that languages are very much like an art form and to lose any of
them
is to lose one of those expressions of art. People are able to enjoy a
language, even if they don't understand it. This is apparent from the
Celtic
music revival here in the United States. Many enjoy listening to Irish
and
Scottish
(Gaelic) from numerous groups who sing in these languages. Many artists
have
"created" their own languages simply to fit the metre of the music, for
example, the Adiemus CD's. Oftentimes it sounds a bit like Latin, but
she is
actually singing no language at all. Not only should we not want to
disenfranchise some by forbidding them to speak their language, we
should
not want to lose their language for its artistic value. I'm thankful for
groups like the Lowlands-l.

Hilsen,

Kevin Browne