LL-L "Resources" 2001.11.09 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 9 20:37:21 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.NOV.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Colin Wilson <lcwilson at starmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Resources" 2001.11.06 (01) [E]

At 20:45 08/11/01, Ian James Parsley wrote:

>I hope Colin won't mind if I mention his 'Stertin Out
>in Scots' (my spellings - Colin's may differ). I had
>had the idea of a similar book, ie one using dialogue
>to illustrate points of grammar, vocab and usage. I
>think that was a good place to start, and Colin's made
>a very good job of it.

My thanks to IJP for his kind comments about my work. I had
deliberately refrained from posting a reply to Frank Verhoft's
original question, as he said specifically that he was interested
in writing a reference work about grammar, rather than a language
course. Since my book is of the latter sort, I didn't really think
I could advise.

I know that "nae commercial propalement is alloued" on this list,
but as people here have already shown an interest, I hope that no-one
will object if I add some detail to what's been said already. First,
the work is a fairly traditional sort of language course, comprising
a course book (with an introduction, twenty-five graded units/lessons,
a vocabulary, and appendices with verb tables etc) and an audio CD
with the dialogues. Although the working title was "Stertin Oot in
Scots", in deference to the publisher's wishes it will be published
under the English-language title "the Luath Scots-Language Learner",
Luath Press Ltd being the publisher's name.

If it's been generally well received so far, that's because of
the help I've had from numerous people, including people
who have posted to this list, such as John Tait and Sandy Fleming.
My thanks again to them.

The book is complete and, even as I'm typing, a paper copy is coming
off my printer ready to go to the publishers. If the layout, etc,
are to their satisfaction then the next step will be to send the
same thing in PostScript for the printers' use. Publication should
follow soon after, probably sometime in the next couple of months.

I'll post more details nearer the time, if people would like to see
them.

Best regards to all,

 Colin Wilson                  the graip wis tint, the besom wis duin
                               the barra wadna row its lane
 writin fae Aiberdein,         an sicna soss it nivver wis seen
 the ile capital o Europe      lik the muckin o Geordie's byre