LL-L "Humor" 2001.11.13 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 18:35:36 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.NOV.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Helge Tietz <helgetietz at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Humor" 2001.11.12 (02) [E]

I fully agree with that and I know a lot East Frisian
are quite capable of taking a joke and laugh about
themselves, something I sometimes believe the Germans,
who do this jokes are lacking when encountered
soemthing similar, e.g. jokes about world war 2. There
is a quite well known comedian from East Friesland
called Otto Waalkes, truely East Frisian of origion
and an East Frisian LS speaker as well who always came
up with jokes about the East Frisians himself and he
was probably one of the most popular comedians in
Germany, a lot of what he did was alomst Monty Pyton
like, in the sense of taking a stereotype to an
extreme and with that actually tackling prejudices. He
did a lot more positive for the reputation of East
Friesland and its inhabitants than against it.

----------

From: "Elsie Zinsser" <ezinsser at simpross.co.za>

Hi all

Part of the entertaining factor of good humour is that it erodes the
illusion we
have of ourselves and others and questions the false perception of
reality we
so like to toy with. Ethnic, racist and gender jokes only serve to
perpetuate
those false perceptions.

Humour should enlighten and augment our humanity; not entrench prejudged

notions.

Groete,
Elsie Zinsser

----------

From: "Browne, Kevin at Astronaut" <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: humor (humour)

Hello all,

Ian has made some interesting points, but I also can see why Ron would
be
upset at some of the humor aimed at the Frisians, Saxons, etc.We in
America,
of course, have our "pollock"(Polish) and blonde jokes, but I have
always
been a bit disturbed by the view that many have of us as being grossly
overweight and always eating hamburgers. I can't remember the last time
have eaten a hamburger from a fast food resturant. I was tutoring French
students over the summer and every time they so an obese person they
would
chuckle and say "American way of life". I must admit that I laughed at
the
way in which they viewed us, but also told them that I was saddened by
this
view. Perhaps the humor can spur us on to help others see that we are
not
all like this. I've heard the Swedes jokes about the Norwegians and the
jokes about Frisians from the north, but I have never thought that they
are
like this. Only people who are ignorant of who the Frisians are would
ever
believe those things to be true and because ignorance means lacking
knowledge, I would encourage everyone from our list to continue
spreading
the knowledge.
Ian, since most of my ancestors come from Ireland (Murphy, Griffin,
Davis,
Browne) and my eyes are blue and my hair red, I would tell you an Irish
joke, but since I myself was born in the U.S. I'll just have to put on
my
cowboy hat and ride off on my horse, chewing gum, of course.

Kevin