LL-L "Resources" 2001.11.13 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 13 18:47:26 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.NOV.2001 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Mike Aryunov" <kraai at mail.ru>

Dear R. F. Hahn,

In your previous postings you used sometimes an interesting
transcription
system. Would you please publish it for all other Lowlanders?

Best regards,
Mike Aryunov

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Resources

Hi, Mike!

I'm not quite sure what transcription you are referring to.  I suspect
you mean the SAMPA phonetic notation system (IPA substitution) for email
etc.  You will find it explained here:

http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/home.htm
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/x-sampa.htm
http://www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/sampa/samprosa.htm

From: "WIEBE,HAUKE (A-Scotland,ex1)" <hauke_wiebe at agilent.com>
Subject: LL-L "Doric WebSite" 2001.11.02 (04) [E]

Moin Altohop,

Just a short mail on something I saw on the Scottish TV News yeaterday.

The opening of a new website for the promotion
(and full of resources for) Doric.
It will be of special interest for those interested in the
Doric Language of Aberdeenshire,
but also to those interested in how to promote small languages on the
Web.
Interesting also the original focus on schoolchildren.

The site is:

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/elphinstone/kist/index.hti

"The Elphinstone Kist was born of a desire to bring new and fresh
writing in
North East Scots to the attention of schools ... Although the 'Kist' was
be primarily aimed at schools it soon became obvious that the breadth of
material submitted should be made available to a much wider public.
Although the 'Kist' was to be primarily aimed at schools it soon became
obvious that the breadth of material submitted should be made available
to a
much wider public. We have attempted to cover as broad a canvas as
possible.
The background and contextual material is an attempt to set the work in
time
and place and to bolster this we have also included work by the many
maakers
who have contributed to the extensive canon of North East writing over
the
centuries.

Have a good read Scots and Non-Scots a like...

Tschuess
Hauke