LL-L "Music" 2001.11.19 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 23:53:45 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 19.NOV.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Jennifer Sara" <sarajennifer at hotmail.com>
Subject: LL-L "Music" 2001.11.19 (02) [E] Old Blind Dogs

Hi Randy and everyone -

I have been exclusively a lurker on this list thus far, but you've drawn
me
out - Old Blind Dogs are one of my favorite bands, and it's one of the
regrets of my life that I didn't hear them during the six months I lived
in
Aberdeen, when they were playing in town several times a week.

Jim Malcolm, the singer on "The World's Room" and the band's current
lead
vocalist, sings in Scots as well as in English, but he is from
Perthshire
and is "at home" in a different dialect than is Ian Benzie, the band's
former lead singer.  Benzie is from Aberdeen and to my understanding did
more work in Doric than does Malcolm.

Basically, as I perceive it, the songs range along the continuum from
English-with-a-Scottish-accent to Scots/Doric depending on the singer
and
the song.  (My rule-of-thumb way of thinking about this is "can my
mother
understand the lyrics to the song?  Then it's probably falling more on
the
English side of things ... :) )

If you're curious about Ian Benzie's singing, there are sound files from
the
albums on which he sang on the band's website.  Also, if you want to get
info straight from the source, as it were, their email addresses are:

Buzzby-obdbuzzby at hotmail.com
Jim- jim at jimmalcolm.com (Jim's also got some solo cds and a website at
www.jimmalcolm.com)
Paul-obdpaul at hotmail.com
Jonny-obdjonny at hotmail.com
Rory-roryc at madasafish.com

Buzzby and Jonny have both been involved with Doric and Gaelic theatre
as
well as music and might be able to give you some specifics on the songs'
dialects.

Best of luck [and get "FIT?" -- it's even better than "The World's Room!
:)
] --

--Jen.
Ann Arbor, MI, USA