LL-L "Etymology" 2001.11.25 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 01:57:07 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 25.NOV.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ole Stig Andersen <osa at olestig.dk>
Subject: LL-L "Etymology" 2001.11.24 (02) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Etymology
>
> Ole Stig wrote:
>
>> In Danish "bie" (possibly also written "bide") means "wait". It is not an
>> active word any more. I remember it from my Jutish childhood as an old > word
>> found in poems and hymns. It has a distinctively Jutish and archaic and
>> rural feel.
>
> In Icelandic, _bíða_ is still the usual word for 'to wait' (Faroese
> *_biða_?).
>
> As someone already mentioned, Old High German has _bîtan_.  It also has
> _enbîtan_.  I believe the former is intransitive ('to wait', Modern
> German _warten_), and the latter is transitive ('to await', to expect',
> Modern German _erwarten_), as in the famous medieval love song:
>
> Chume, chum, geselle mîn,
> ih enbîte harte dîn,
> ih enbîte harte dîn,
> chume, chum, geselle mîn.
>
> Come, come, my consort!
> I await you eagerly.
> I await you eagerly.
> Come, come, my consort!
>
> Old Saxon has _bîdan_ (or is it *_bîðan_?).  However, I am not aware of
> it having survived in Modern Low Saxon (Low German) dialects.  I would
> expect *_bieden_ or *_bien_.  Does anyone know of such a form in the
> modern dialects?
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard/Ron

Could there be an etymological connection to the West Germanic
preposition
_by/bij/bei_?

There certainly seems to be a possible metaphorical connection between
_wait_ and _by_. Not?

Regards

Ole Stig Andersen
osa at olestig.dk
http://www.olestig.dk

----------

From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at idirect.com>

I am quite curious about the roots of English "bide" and "abide".  My
little Claiborne (The Roots of English) suggests it may descend from IE
BHEIDH, from which may also descend Latin fidere (> English "confident",
"faith", "affidavit", etc. etc.) as well as another relative in Latin
foedus, foeder (> English "federal", "confederate", etc.)

Casting about in Monier Williams Sanskrit dictionary, I find that M-W
considers that foedus, foeder are the Sk relatives of bandh, > English
"bind".

It does seem that the English "abide" probably descends from AS "bidan",
but then the "trail goes cold."

As a matter of pure speculation, I wonder if perhaps there is originally
a common root for English "bide" and "bind"?  I am thinking of the
modern English expression, "to be tied down at home" as an example.  I
know this is perhaps a bit of a stretch, but does anyone else have any
better suggestions

Ed Alexander