LL-L "Grammar" 2001.11.26 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 26 17:24:48 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.NOV.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Browne, Kevin at Astronaut" <BrowneK at brevard.k12.fl.us>
Subject: prepostitions

Beste Laaglanders,

I'm not sure if this has ever been asked and it's something I have had
trouble with
for some time: Prepositions. The use of a preposition in one Germanic
language
is often quite different from that in another. Does anyone have a secret
for
learning
these or any pneumonic device they can share with me, because I hate
using
the
wrong preposition when I translate.

Here is one example of what I mean:
English: ...because we have our hope in the living God
Dutch: ...omdat wij onze hoop gevestigd hebben op de levende God
Afrikaans...op die lewende God
High German: ...weil wir auf den lebendigen Gott hoffen
Danish:...fordi vi har sat vort håb til den levende God (till in
Swedish)

in, on, till

If it's just something I need to keep memorizing you can disregard this
letter,
otherwise, please let me in on the secret.

hilsen,
Kevin Browne

(sorry about not typing my last name on my last message Ron)