LL-L: "Migration" LOWLANDS-L, 09.OCT.2001 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 9 16:23:47 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 09.OCT.2001 (04) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226
 A=Afrikaans, Ap=Appalachian, D=Dutch, E=English, F=Frisian, L=Limburgish

From: Luc Hellinckx <luc.hellinckx at PANDORA.BE>
Subject: Language spoken in Fläming-region (S.W. ofBerlin)

I remember reading an article once (fifteen years ago) about the
medieval settlement of Flemish and Brabantine farmers in the
German region south-west of Berlin, nowadays called "Fläming".
Influence of this migration on the local dialect was supplied by
numerous examples of words that were used in Flanders or Brabant
(at that time) and that were still used in the local German dialect in the
middle of the twentieth century (e.g. "stille" for a pat of butter).
Could anyone give me some more information (web links, books,
personal information...) regarding this migration and its linguistic
impact ?

----------

From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Migration

Dear Luc,

Welcome to Lowlands-L!

The following (German-language) website contains an introduction:
<http://www.opitz-hh.de/geschichte/flamen.htm>.  In a Dutch quotation it
mentions Zeelanders (Zeeuwen) and Hollanders besides Flemings.

Also of interest to you may be the fact that Teltow-Fläming is on the edge of
Lower Lusatia (Niederlausitz), and Fläming is often mentioned as
"Fläming-Spreewald" with reference to the swampy area known in German as
_Spreewald_ ("(River) Spree Woods") and in Sorbian (Lusatian) as _B{l/}ota_
("The Swamp").  Since that area is or used to be on the southeastern edge of
the Low Saxon (Low German) area and is also at the northwestern edge of Lower
Sorbian, a West Slavic language, we ought to assume that at the time the
migrants from what are now Belgium and the Netherlands came into contact with
speakers of Saxon and Slavic.  Therefore, Dutch-Flemish influences on some
northern Lower Sorbian dialects ought to be considered possible also.  German
(i.e., "High" German) entered the picture only later in the wake of
Germanization, and its local dialects have Low Saxon and Slavic influences.

Of course, there are other areas in Germany with a history of migration from
what are now Belgium and the Netherlands.  (I deliberately do not say "The Low
Countries" here because I personally consider Northern Germany a part of them,
at least culturally and linguistically.)  There are, for instance,
Friedrichstadt (in the state of Schleswig-Holstein) and Das Alte Land (Dat Ole
Land ~ Olland, in the states of Hamburg and Lower Saxony) which were
apparently founded by migrants from the Netherlands.