LL-L "Place names" 2001.10.23 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 19:39:50 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 23.OCT.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk
Subject: LL-L "Place names" 2000.10.22. (03) [E]

> From: Andy Eagle <Andy.Eagle at t-online.de>
> Subject: Place names [E]
>
> Ted.Harding at nessie.mcc.ac.uk Asked:
> Subject: "Camp" in Scots
>
> I take this to be Buddon Ness, the area south of  Carnoustie.

That's the place!

> Directly to the south of the town there is a championship golf course.

Shown on the map ...

> The sand dunes, military camps, and artillery ranges of Barry Links
> extend to the southwest. From this I would assume the word Camp here
> is simply a military term.

Now that you have mentioned this, I have checked in other directions
and I think you are probably right. When I looked at the map (1-inch
Ordnance Survey map of 1959, and quite detailed) I saw no signs of
any structures which could correspond to a military camp, though
rifle ranges are marked to the North-East of "Barry Camp", close
up to the gold course..

For yours to be the true explanation, it would have had to hold
prior to 1909 which was the date of confirmation of Grass Sickness
"in a horse at Barry Camp" according to an article I have been
studying.

But you wrote as if from local knowledge, so I embarked on an
extended web search.

Finally, I found the following, excerpted from

  http://www.grasssickness.org.uk/research/
  grass_sickness_and_botulism.htm

(all one line with no spaces):

  "Sporadic cases of equine grass sickness (EGS) were first
  suspected in Angus towards the end of the 19th Century.
  Subsequently the disease occurred in local epidemics
  initially affecting army horses at Barry Camp, Montrose
  in the spring of 1905."

What was missing from the account I had been reading was
the word "army" in "army horses". With this word on scene,
I would probably have jumped to the military conclusion
in the first place, and would not have aked my question!

However, the discussion has been fascinating, and still
leaves scope the possibility that "camp", in the sense of
"field, meadow, ...", might have a place in Scots (though
not, perhaps, in the case of Barry Camp).

Nevertheless, once a question has been asked it takes on
a life of its own. I am most appreciative of the enthusiasm
and richness of everyone's responses. Lowlands-L at its best!

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972
Date: 23-Oct-01                                       Time: 18:57:00