LL-L "Grammar" 2001.10.26 (03) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 17:17:47 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2001 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Candon McLean <candon3 at yahoo.com>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2001.10.25 (02) [E]

> From: R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Grammar
>
> Welcome among the unlurked, Candon!

Good to be unlurked. ;-)

> Sandy's, Andy's and your eloquent posts remind me of
> the verbal present tense
> plural _-t_ suffix in many of the North Saxon
> dialects of Low Saxon (Low
> German).  It coincides with that of the 3rd person
> singular.  I believe plural
> _-en_ (surviving in other dialects) is older than
> this plural _-t_.
>
> Ik lehr (I learn)
> du lehrst (thou learnest)
> he lehrt (he learns)
> se lehrt (she learns)
> it ~ dat lehrt (it learns)
> wi lehrt (~ lehren) (we learn)
> ji lehrt (~ lehren) (you learn)
> se lehrt (~ lehren) (they learn)
>
> I wonder if this falls into the same category with
> the stuff you guys (nice
> plural pronoun!) have been talking about.

I don't think this is analogic leveling, rather this
seems to be the influence of High German.

The Proto-Germanic 3rd singular verbal affix was
something like /-iþ/ and the plural affix was /-anþ/
(that's -ith and -anth, if the thorn doesn't show up
for you).

In the Lowland languages (Anglo-Saxon, Saxon, Frisian,
etc.) /n/ is deleted before the voiceless fricatives
/s, f, þ/, which leaves us with the paradigm in
Anglo-Saxon:

he sing_eþ_
we, ge, hie sing_aþ_

The difference in the vowel crucial.

In High German /þ/ became /t,d/ and in the 3rd plural
deleted or assimilated with the /n/.

Er singt
Wir singen[d] > wir singen.

Now, whether the Low Saxon change of /þ/ > /t/ is
independent or influenced by High German, we'd have to
look at more data.

Candon McLean