LL-L "Grammar" 2001.10.26 (05) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 22:34:40 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 26.OCT.2001 (05) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: AEDUIN at aol.com
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2001.10.26 (04) [E]

In a message dated 26/10/01 22:10:47 GMT Daylight Time, sassisch at yahoo.com
writes:

   There's one exception, which is that the verb concord for the
   > verb "to be" may go either way, eg:
   >
   > "The flouers are springin"
   >
   > and
   >
   > "The flouers is springin"

In Wiltshire and hereabouts the ....be..... is not unusual for both plural and
singular nouns. Things also tend to be referred to as She, if that
has any significance.

Regards

Edwin Deady

----------

From: "Aviad Stier" <aviad2001 at hotmail.com>

Hello everyone!
Reinhard/Ron wrote:... I am wondering about Australian English dialects.  In
casual speech you
will hear things like "There's no clean plates left in the cupboard,"
"There's
swarms of flies," "There's tons of money," "There's about five dollars
left,"
and "There's lots of drunken drivers on the roads on Sat'dy nights."

Come to think of it, it seems to be rather limited, probably always to 'to
be'
and to "there's ..."  Or is it?  I do not think you would hear anything like
*"The flowers is blooming," definitely nothing like *"The flows grows
slowly."

I'm living with a Canadian, and many of my friends are American, and they
all normally say things like "where's my glasses" or "there's lots of people
out there". I discovered that people actually raise their eyebrows when I
use "where are" - seems to me like it's hardly used in everyday speech in
North America. It's a bit different, though, with "there are", since on some
occasions I would use it ("there are many people out there"), but I'm sure
some of our American Lowlanders will be able to elaborate more on that.
Aviad Stier
Brussels