LL-L: "Condolence" LOWLANDS-L, 13.SEP.2001 (01) [E]

Sandy Fleming sandy at fleimin.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 17:38:53 UTC 2001

 L O W L A N D S - L * 13.SEP.2001 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Bryan E. Schulz [bryans at northnet.net]
Subject: "Condolence" LOWLANDS-L, 12.SEP.2001 (03) [E]

Dear Anja;

        Thank you for the kind words and expression of support.   There are times
that words are the only gift we can give each other.

        The United States cried in pain and is taking a deep breath after the
merciless and horrific slaughter of so many of our countrymen.  Tears of
sorrow streak the faces of those who lost husbands, wives, friends and
colleagues.  Tears of sorrow run down the face of the Americans as we
realize that our enemies sometimes come to our country with smiles and hugs
yet have a knife hidden in their clothes.  They wait to end their evil
mission by relying on our ability to accept other cultures and
beliefs.  They eat our food and drink our wine but their heart is bitterly
cold with hate.

        This morning I walked out of my house without fear.  I went to a cafe'  to
talk with my friends over a cup of coffee.  I returned home without
fear.  It didn't work.  The terrorists died for nothing.
Their comrades will be found and punished.

        The United States has broad shoulders and a spirit forged of the finest
steel.  Our friends around the world quickly stood by our side.  Our
enemies sat in dark places and whimpered.  This isn't our finest hour.  We
cherish our friends like you and will be with you when you suffer attacks
from those who believe that life has no worth.  They are out there
and  waiting for the best time to attack. They can't stand the light of day.

        Computers, the inter-net, airplanes and 110 story buildings were fashioned
in the United States.  Today the search for a better life continues here as
it does around the world.  We marvel at the new inventions from all around
the world.  We hope that being the 'Superpower' will mean peace and until a
bigger and better idea or nation comes along, we have that
responsibility.  As you can see, it isn't just song and dance.

        Thank you again for your greetings.  America holds the light of freedom
and peace in one hand and keeps the other hand on its sword.

Bryan E. Schulz

  Please submit contributions to <lowlands-l at listserv.linguistlist.org>.
 * Commands for automated functions (including "signoff lowlands-l" are