LL-L "Names" 2002.04.02 (04) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 2 20:19:44 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 02.APR.2002 (03) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Sandy Fleming [sandy at scotstext.org]
Subject: "Names"

> From: Edwin Alexander <edsells at cogeco.ca>
> Subject: LL-L "Names" (was "Phonology") 2002.04.01 (06) [E]
>
> At 09:28 AM 04/01/02 -0800, Sandy wrote:
> >My first teacher in primary school was an elderly lady
> >known to us only as "Miss Strachan".

> Church of the Ascension in Hamilton in 1851.  Normally one hears the
> name
> pronounced "Strawn" with a very long "a", but I think a more authentic
> Canadian pronunciation is heard in the Hamilton neighbourhood where the
> late Bishop's name graces a local street, where one can distinguish the
> real natives of this area when they say "Stran" with a very short "a".

In Scots it's pronounced /'stra:x at n/ or /'strQ:x at n/, ie the "ch"
is pronounced as in the strictly correct pronunciation of "loch",
or as in the German name "Bach".

Scots names with the /x/ sound do of course tend to have their
pronunciations altered by English speakers. I've heard "Murdoch"
(/'mVrdox/) pronounced "Moordock" by English speakers, and
"Buchanan" (/'bVx at n@n/) pronounced "BookAHnin", which of course
you could never get _me_ to say, even in English!

Sandy
http://scotstext.org
A dinna dout him, for he says that he
On nae accoont wad ever tell a lee.