LL-L "Grammar" 2002.04.11 (06) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 12 01:56:07 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 11.APR.2002 (06) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Andrys Onsman <Andrys.Onsman at CeLTS.monash.edu.au>
Subject: LL-L "Grammar" 2002.04.11 (03) [E]

To add to Henry Baron
Subject: LL-L "Grammar"

> What Pepijn observes about Brabant use of the possessive plural pronoun
> when referring to family members applies also to westerlauwers Frisian.
>
> Henry

Bearing in mind that "Us Mem" is our mum both actually and
metaphorically! (For those unaware, Us Mem refers to a large statue of a
Friesian cow in the centre of Ljouwert.)

Andrys Onsman

----------

R. F. Hahn <sassisch at yahoo.com>
Subject: Grammar

Lowlanders,

For the benefit of our members who are not all that familiar with things
Frisian, especially those who joined us recently, and might be looking
for "Ljouwert" on an ordinary map, here's a footnote to the footnote of
Us Andrys (above):

Ljouwert is the Frisian name for the capital of Fryslân (Netherlands
Friesland/Frisia, as distinguished from Eastern Friesland and Northern
Friesland in Germany).  The city is internationally better known under
the Dutch name Leeuwarden.

Further about "our," In my Northern German dialect and also in Low Saxon
(Low German) we use it with names and kinship terms oftentimes as a sort
of endearing embellishment, something that signals affection.  Thus, my
sister, using German, would mention our mother, who recently passed
away, not simply as _Mutti_ (which is the term we used to address her)
but as _uns(e)re Mutti_.  It signals affection to the person spoken of,
and it also signals affection or at least intimacy to the person spoken
to - not, however, if the listener is not a sibling or the other parent,
in which case it would mean "my mom."