LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.15 (01) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 15:11:30 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.APR.2002 (01) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: "Pepijn Hendriks" <pepijnh at gmx.net>
Subject: LL-L "Language varieties" 2002.04.14 (02) [E]

"John M. Tait" <jmtait at wirhoose.co.uk> wrote:

> Also Tony Head, playing the very English Giles in Buffy the Vampire
> Slayer, saying 'someplace' rather than 'somewhere', which certainly
> sounded like an Americanism to me. Of course, I could be wrong -
> perhaps these phrases have become common in British English without me
> noticing. I've heard the butler in Fresh Prince of Bel Air (is that how
> you spell it?) pronouncing American English with an English accent too,
> though I can't give examples.

We also have to take into account the possibility that pronouncing
American expressions with a British accent may even be intentional.

These films or series are not primarily aimed at an American rather than
a foreign audience. And whereas the average American viewer can tell a
British from an American accent when they hear one, they might have more
trouble with 'strange' words.

Also, the script writers might simply not be aware of all the
differences and don't have them checked by a native speaker. (As someone
who knows Russian, I'm regularly amazed by what is intended to sound or
look like Russian in American films.)

Regarding the butler in _The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air_: he is played by
Joseph Marcell. According to the Internet Movie Database
(<http://uk.imdb.com>), he was born in Saint Lucia. Another site states
that he moved to England with his parents at the age of five
(<http://members.tripod.com/Jeep2483/joseph.html>).

-Pepijn

--
 pepijnh at bigfoot.com -- http://www.bigfoot.com/~pepijnh -- ICQ - 6033220