LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2002.04.15 (02) [E]

Lowlands-L sassisch at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 15 18:20:01 UTC 2002

 L O W L A N D S - L * 15.APR.2002 (02) * ISSN 189-5582 * LCSN 96-4226

From: Matthew McGrattan <matthew.mcgrattan at brasenose.oxford.ac.uk>
Subject: LL-L "How do you say ...?" 2002.04.15 (01) [E

> Regarding Scots language,  someone suggested ...
>    "Watter o' Oof,  Nether Saunt Laarence"
>  as a translation for ...
>    "River of the Wolf  ( Wolf's River),  Lower Saint Lawrence.
>
> Someone would like to comment on this ?
>
> Sylvain Lavoie

Hi,

There have already been some Scots suggestions on the discussion list.

However, "Watter o' Oof" looks bizarre to me and certainly nothing like
anything I would recognise as Scots.

Certainly, the dropping of the "W" (/w/) and the "l" (/l/) from "wolf"
is not something that seems even slightly Scots to me. Perhaps that is
just my impression but I suspect other Scots speakers would agree.

Scots pronunciation would be something like /wVlf/ or perhaps /wIlf/.

Those phonemes (/w/ and /l/) aren't ones that would be elided or dropped
in my dialect. (Central/Stirlingshire dialect)

Also it would seem MUCH more natural to me have the "Watter" or "Burn"
(for a smaller body of water) appear last in the phrase, e.g.

"Wulf's Watter" or "The Wulf Burn"

It might be more natural (as has been suggested before in this
discussion) to just have "The Wulf".

Thanks,

Matthew